I was never a fan of hummus growing up. I actually was never a fan even as an adult. I have always been a fan of avocados though. I tried hummus for the first time about 5 years ago and it was just “ok.” Now though, it is super good! What was I missing all those years? This spicy hummus with avocado hits the spot when you need a snack during the day or just feel like munching on something healthy.
When I made this it was missing something. What it was missing was salt. I have been trying to limit our salt intake and I did skimp on the salt. I actually had to go back and add some so I used garlic salt to increase the flavor a bit more. I also used the whole jalapeños, with the seeds, to make it a bit spicier. We really like spicy food so leave out some of the seeds, and add them in as needed, to get the perfect flavor.
This actually makes quite a bit so if you are not needing very much, I would half the ingredients and make a smaller batch. That way you are not wasting any if you aren’t able to finish it within a day or two, but you might even want to double it, it’s that good!
- 2 avocados, large
- 2 15 oz cans organic garbanzo beans, drained
- 2 jalapeños, remove stems
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 Tbs fresh cilantro
- 1 Tbs tahini
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ⅜ cup lime juice
- ½ cup water
- Cut avocados and remove seeds. Spoon out avocado and place in food processor or blender.
- Add remaining ingredients and pulse until desired consistency is reached.
- Serve cold with vegetables, crackers, or baked tortilla chips.
- Best to use within one day.
Here are a couple pics that are the perfect size for pinning to Pinterest!