Spicy Buttermilk Jalapeño Chicken Strips
Do you ever get tired of the same ol’ thing when it comes to chicken strips? If so, then you have got to try these spicy buttermilk jalapeño chicken strips. Definitely different from the standard strips. The jalapeños take these chicken strips up a notch from the norm. These chicken strips are crunchy, delicious and a bit on the spicy side.
With this recipe, the jalapeños, along with the red crushed peppers, add delicious flavor to the chicken. Then when combined with the remaining ingredients, these chicken strips have a nice kick to them.
Basically, add the chicken strips to a large size baggie and pour in the buttermilk, add diced jalapeños, crushed red peppers, black pepper and zip the bag closed. Shake gently to mix and then place the bag in the refrigerator for 2 hours to marinate.
Heat about 1/2 inch of vegetable oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. In another large size baggie, add flour, bread crumbs, corn starch, cayenne pepper, Cajun seasoning and garlic salt. Seal and shake to combine.
Take a few chicken strips at a time from the buttermilk mixture, and add to the flour mixture. Seal and shake to coat. Next, once coated, place each chicken strip into the hot oil and cook for about 8-10 minutes (depending on the size of your strips), then flip and continue cooking for about 7-8 more minutes or until internal temperature reaches 170°. Continue until all 9 strips are cooked. Remove and place on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb the oil. Then enjoy!
These spicy buttermilk jalapeño chicken strips definitely have a bite to them. If you want more spice, increase the amount of jalapeños and if you want less, decrease the jalapeños.
Try these spicy buttermilk jalapeño chicken strips today!
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (each breast cut into 3 strips)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ⅓ cup chopped jalapeños
- 1 tsp crushed red peppers
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 Tbs corn starch
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- Vegetable oil for frying
- When ready to fry chicken strips, in a large cast iron pan, or large frying pan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Cut each chicken breasts into 3 strips for a total of 9.
- Place into a large size baggie.
- Pour buttermilk into baggie and add diced jalapeños, crushed red pepper, black pepper and seal.
- Gently shake to mix and once mixed well, place sealed baggie in the refrigerator for 2 hours, or longer, to marinate.
- In another large baggie, add flour, bread crumbs, corn starch, cayenne pepper, Cajun seasoning and garlic salt. Seal and shake to mix.
- Once chicken strips are finished marinating, remove a few strips at a time and place into flour mixture. Seal and shake to coat. Continue until all 9 strips have been coated in flour mixture.
- Place chicken strips in heated oil and cook for 8-10 minutes then flip over an continue cooking for an additional 7-8 minutes until the internal temperature reaches 170°.
- Remove from pan and place on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb the oil.
Here are a few pics that are the perfect size for pinning to Pinterest.
Copyright © Great Grub, Delicious Treats. All content and images are copyright protected. Do not use any images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, make sure to re-write the recipe in your own words and only list ingredients making sure to link back to this post for the original recipe and directions.