Cooking with a crock pot makes life so easy at times. I love using my crock pot and these beans are slow cooked and deliciously flavored. All the hard work is done for you while freeing you up to be able to do other things! Making beans and ham in the crock pot before heading out the door, makes returning home and having your meal finished, ideal!
These beans make a great addition to so many different meal choices. We can eat beans all the time and adding them on tostadas, in tacos, or having them with rice, makes lunch or dinner meals delicious! We even add these beans to our breakfast burritos. So many things can be made with a pot of beans. And not only are they tasty and delicious, it’s cheap to make your own beans and ham! So, grab that crock pot and get started.
I used my 7 quart crock pot for this recipe. I always make a lot of food because we sure do love our leftovers! These beans are great to freeze if you have extra. Just add beans to quart size freezer bags, about 2 cups in each bag, and pull out when needed. They can be frozen for approximately 3 months.
- 2 lb bag pinto beans
- 1 ham hock
- 8 C water
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into ¾ inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbs ground cayenne red pepper
- 1 Tbs cumin
- Salt and pepper
- Sort and rinse beans.
- Soak beans overnight in water.
- Drain water, rinse beans.
- Add beans, ham hock, bell pepper, onions, garlic, red pepper, cumin, pepper and water to crock pot.
- Add salt once beans are tender, adjusting salt as needed.
- Cook on high for 5-6 hours, low 8-9 hrs.
Here are a couple pics that are the perfect size for pinning to Pinterest!